Here’s a great lunge move that provides a lower-body workout that hits your thighs, glutes and hips from three different angles. Think of this as though you are standing in the middle of a clock to help with the positioning of your feet. If you’re a beginner, no weights are necessary. Otherwise, grab a set of dumbbells—enough weight to add a degree of difficulty to the move.
Here we go!
• Start with your feet together in the middle of the clock.
• Keeping your shoulders back and your back straight, step forward with your right foot to the 12:00 position and bend your left leg to perform a lunge.
• Return to starting position and immediately lunge to the 3:00 position.
• Return to starting position and immediately lunge to the 6:00 position.
• Return to starting position and then lunge with your left foot to the 12:00, 9:00 and 6:00 positions.
Repeat entire cycle eight to 10 times and feel the burn!
Tip: Don’t allow your back leg (the bent knee) to hit the ground when lunging. Instead, keep it slightly off the ground to keep stress on the working muscles.
Once you’ve mastered one set, increase the number of sets to two or three, and you’ll really feel the three-way results.
In order to avoid risk of injury, please seek advice directly from your physician, especially if you have existing medical issues, before beginning any exercise or nutritional program. Also, be sure to stretch after exercise to avoid muscle and joint tightness.